Monday, February 19, 2007

Week 7 Paw



This is an outtake for a DPChallenge "Bad". I call this "dependence", because of our dependence on oil in this country. This is a Oil Well Pump Jack.

I saw this pump jack and it was not moving. I drove up to it and set up my tripod and camera. Looked into the viewfinder and all of a sudden it started working. I tell you, I about jump out of my skin. After looking around to see if anyone was watching me, I continued to take pictures.

In this part of Utah there are a lot of these. Big oil boom here. Some call them nodding donkeys. Did you know that they make a sound like a horse snorting?

2 comments:

sacker said...

Nice photo. I really like the lighting and that you were able to completely silhouette the oil rig. It really makes it more menacing and fits with the "bad" theme you were going for.

Germaine said...

Nice work. Those rigs do have a certain menace to them.